Professional Editors

The following list of copyeditors expressed interest in being included on this referral list based on a call put out over social media. Students will need to discuss pay rates with any potential copyeditors they choose to contact.

Please note that The Writing Center has compiled this list as a service to GC students interested in hiring a copyeditor. That being said, the Center cannot vouch for the people included on this list. If you have a bad experience working with someone, please let us know so we can take that person off the list.

Eileen Sperry 

I’ve taught writing for the last six years, with classes both at the freshmen and doctoral levels; I also work as an editor for http://NursingClio.org, and have experience editing academic work for public audiences. If I can share any other info or editorial samples, please let me know.

I earned my PhD in English from Stony Brook University in 2016, along with an additional graduate certification in Cultural Studies. A large part of my work is in  literary studies: my research centers on early modern poetics, especially lyric theory, devotional poetry, and the sonnet. I study embodied experience in early modern culture with a focus on mortality and disability. Finally, I teach and write about Shakespeare, particularly in global contemporary film and adaptation.

I also specialize in expository writing, and have taught courses from first-year college writing through advanced doctoral seminars in scholarly publishing. In my composition classes, I work with students to develop complex analytic skills and clear, confident prose. My favorite extension of this area has been my work as an editor at Nursing Clio, where I work with our authors and editorial team to create public-facing content on the histories of medicine, gender, and the body.

Ben Wurgaft

I’m a writer and historian. The topics of my books, essays, and criticism range from the history of philosophy to contemporary food culture, with stops along the way for coffee and the history of the cafe, the history of colleges and universities, and laboratory-grown meat and the future of food. I received my B.A. from Swarthmore College, and my M.A. and Ph.D. from the University of California, Berkeley. I’ve been a Mellon postdoctoral fellow at the New School for Social Research, a National Science Foundation postdoctoral fellow at MIT, and a Visiting Assistant Professor at Wesleyan University. I believe in public scholarship (carefully researched work accessible to the general reader) and I place my trust in the essay form.

I write and edit freelance, and sometimes consult for individuals and organizations that need to think critically about the past (i.e., institutional history) or the future (i.e., emerging food technologies).

Michael Natriello

I am a full-time lecturer in the Writing Department at Fordham University. I hold an MFA in fiction from The New School and an MA in Applied Linguistics from Columbia. I have a decade of experience in working with English Language Leaners, and have advised on theses in all disciplines.

Mary Anne Gonzalez

I specialize in medieval history but have experience copyediting and tutoring students in writing from a variety of disciplines and writing genres. I have 3 years of experience working in a university writing center.

Rebecca Bodenheimer

I’m a seasoned academic editor who has worked with dozens of established scholars and graduate students on their journal articles and manuscripts. I have a PhD in Music (ethnomusicology) from UC Berkeley and have published my own academic monograph and several journal articles. I offer both substantive/developmental editing, as well as line editing and copy editing. 

In terms of content knowledge, I have the most experience in the following disciplines: musicology/ethnomusicology, anthropology, history, cultural studies, African American Studies, African Diaspora Studies, Ethnic Studies, and Latin American/Latinx Studies. However, I have worked with clients from a wide range of other fields, including Sociology, Performance Studies, Media Studies, and Education. Read more about me at https://rmbodenheimer.com [rmbodenheimer.com]

Olivia Stowell

I am a Ph.D. student in the department of Communication & Media at the University of Michigan. I provide line editing, copyediting, and proofreading services, and have years of experience as a writing center tutor and freelance copyeditor.

My subjects of expertise include Communication, Media Studies, Race & Ethnic Studies, English, Theater, Philosophy, and Gender Studies, though I have experience working with students and scholars across disciplines. In my research and writing, I focus on race, embodiment, and temporality in contemporary television and pop culture, particularly investigating the construction of racial identities and narratives in culinary television. I received my B.A. in English and Theatre Arts from Westmont College and my M.A. in English Literature from Villanova University. Visit my website olivia-stowell.com [olivia-stowell.com].

Erin K. Maher

I’m an academic editor specializing in arts/humanities fields, and I have experience working with graduate students. I provide copyeditingline editing, and citation checking services to scholars in arts and humanities disciplines, including:

• Musicology and ethnomusicology
  • History
  • Art history
  • Anthropology
  • Theology and religious studies
  • Cultural studies

I have experience editing monographs, journal articles, chapters in edited volumes, and dissertations. With any type of text, my approach to editing prioritizes attention to detail and respect for both you and your work. I can also support your scholarly projects through audio transcriptionengraving of musical examples, and research assistance.

Lily McCully

I am an English PhD student at the University of Tulsa where I also graduated with a Master’s degree in English Language and Literature in 2017. I previously graduated from the University of Oklahoma in 2015 with a bachelor degree in both English and Women’s and Gender Studies where I graduated as a Cherokee Nation Scholar. I am currently Assistant Director of the Helen N. Wallace Writing Center at The University of Tulsa. I have the privilege to work closely with both students and instructors developing programs to enhance the composition learning opportunities on our campus.

For the last two years I was Book Review Editor for Tulsa Studies in Women’s Literature. I have held previous assistantships as Women’s Studies Program Assistant, composition instructor, and Writing Center consultant at the University of Tulsa. In 2018-2019 I was director of the English Graduate Student Association Sesquiannual Conference, “‘This Land is My Land:’ Reclaiming Spaces and Narratives.” Since 2018 I have been a Southern Regional Education Board Doctoral Scholar. I am also an enrolled member of the Cherokee Nation.

Visit my website at lilymccully.wordpress.com

Alicia Spencer-Hall

Alicia is an experienced editor, specializing in academic and research texts. She helps authors develop and refine their work from first draft to proofs, with particular expertise in supporting writers for whom English is a second or additional language. Her clients include postgraduate researchers, independent and early-career scholars, and established academics in the arts and sciences. As an academic author with a PhD, Alicia has first-hand experience of the academic writing and publishing process which directly informs the services she provides. Alongside her freelance work, she is Series Editor for the ‘Hagiography Beyond Tradition’ book series at Amsterdam University Press and ‘Premodern Transgressive Literatures’ at Medieval Institute Publications.

Kathryn Nogue

I’m an academic editor with more than ten years of experience providing developmental, line, and copy editing services to scholars in the humanities and social sciences. My areas of focus include nineteenth-century, post-45, and pop culture studies. I edit reviews, chapters in edited collections, articles, monographs, and, occasionally, dissertations. For more about my background, approach, and usual rates, please visit www.knogue.com

Jen Haller 

I’m a PhD candidate in the Comp Lit department at CUNY GC (dissertation advisor: Monica Calabritto) and the Associate Curator at Nassau County Museum of Art.

Zoe Sullivan

I’ve been working as a freelance editor for about 6 years now on the side. Currently a second year PhD student in political science at Tulane. Masters at SOAS in England.

Dominique Gracia

Dominique is an independent academic, consultant and coach with a PhD in English literature (University of Exeter). Her research has been published in journals such as Word&Image and Victorian Poetry. She was the Long-Nineteenth-Century Literature and History Editor for the journal HARTS&Minds (University of Bristol) until its closure in October 2020 and, as an Administrative Director for the Collaborative Organization for Virtual Education edits (and trains graduate students to edit) peer-reviewed articles and other content. Professionally, she spent nine years in the UK Parliament writing and editing research papers and business documents before becoming a freelancer. She is comfortable working with a broad range of humanities and social science subjects, referencing styles, and types of English. Visit my website at graciado.com.

Carmen Victor

Carmen Victor holds a Ph.D. in Communication & Culture from York/Ryerson Universities, Toronto, Canada. Victor’s writing on contested landscapes, installation, experimental and time-based contemporary art and cinemas of the circumpolar North has appeared in many journals and edited volumes. Currently Victor is a MITACS Accelerate Postdoctoral Fellow in Cinema and Media Arts at York University and Managing Editor of PUBLIC journal.

Sarah Norrell

Sarah is the Business Librarian and Instruction Coordinator in the Muntz Library at UT Tyler. She earned her bachelor’s degree in English and Writing from the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor. She earned her MS in Information Sciences from the University of Texas at Austin, and her MS in Human Resource Development from UT Tyler. Her research interests and scholarly work includes library instruction and curriculum design, adult learning in the workplace, library leadership, and EDI (equity, diversity, and inclusion) and accessibility in the workplace.

Daniel Lefferts

Daniel is a writer living in New York. He received a BA in English and American Literature from New York University and an MFA in Fiction Writing from Columbia University. He has taught writing at Columbia University and Rutgers University and serves as a consultant at Columbia University’s writing center. He has also worked as a copyeditor for corporations and arts organizations and is a contributing editor at Publishers Weekly. He has collaborated with writers from various disciplines on a wide array of projects and has particularly deep experience with academic application materials, cover letters and resumes, journalism, creative writing, artistic and literary analysis, and ELL language acquisition.

Sarah Sachs

Sarah is a sociologist, creative writer, and editor based in Sacramento, CA. She has coached adult writers in a variety of academic disciplines. Originally trained as a writing consultant in the Columbia University Writing Center, Sarah now works primarily as an academic editor, editing dissertations, book chapters, and journal articles for peer review. She provides detail-oriented copy-editing as well as feedback on argumentation, structure, and narrative. She can also offer substantive comments on social science manuscripts.

In addition, Sarah works with prospective students on admissions and employment materials. Sarah helps students develop a coherent narrative of themselves and their potential fit for their desired program or position. Sarah particularly enjoys helping students in engineering or science, who sometimes struggle with narrative, as well as writers who are still developing their voices in written English.

In 2019, Sarah received a PhD in Sociology from Columbia University, and she completed a postdoctoral fellowship in Science & Technology Studies at Cornell University in 2021.

Raffi Joe Wartanian

Raffi holds graduate degrees in writing and international affairs from Columbia University, and an undergraduate degree in history from Johns Hopkins University. A recipient of fellowships and grants from the Fulbright Program, Eurasia Partnership Foundation, and Humanity in Action, Raffi has taught writing at Columbia University, Rikers Island jail, the Manhattan VA, and Letters for Peace. He has extensive experience writing, publishing, and editing academic essays, dissertations, creative writing projects, and personal statements for graduate school, grants, fellowships, and beyond.

Need help with the Commons? Visit our
help page
Send us a message